The Global ABS Business Facility
Supporting the strengthening of partnerships and coordination to increase dialogue and support between users and providers
Building trust between users and providers of genetic resources has been a key component of the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project. Since its launch in 2017, the project has supported the strengthening of partnerships and coordination to increase dialogue and support between users (research institutions and private sector industries) and providers (States or Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLCs), as holders of genetic resources and traditional knowledge that lead scientific research).
As a result, the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project has supported so far 21 biodiscovery initiatives in 11 countries that showcase partnerships between IPLCs and the private sector, delivering ABS nature-based solutions for sustainable development. Some of these cases are presented in the publication “ABS is genetic resources for sustainable development”, which was released during COP-14 CBD in Egypt in November 2018.
The Global ABS Business Facility, implemented under the framework of the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project, goes one step further, providing strategic business coaching to States and IPLCs in the economic valorization of genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge. The services provided further extend to support private companies and industries in the process of accessing genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge, ensuring Nagoya Protocol compliance at all levels of the value chain. The services provided are the following:
- Design of ABS strategies to set up ABS business models;
- Design knowledge-based and bottom-up ABS value chains;
- Connect industries interested on working with genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge to providers of those resources;
- Consultancy to enhance understanding responsibilities and obligations while developing ABS business models within the firm;
- Development of genetic resources economic valorization models;
ABS Legal Helpdesk Request
To apply and get support from our ABS legal helpdesk, follow the steps below.
- Fill in the ABS legal request ticket. Please include your name, address, company you represent, telephone number and two email addresses. On the comment section, please describe, as detailed as possible, your request.
- You should receive a notification email. Please keep in hand the ABS capacity request ticket number assigned to your case.
- From this point, an ABS expert will contact you to provide support.
All the information received under this service is treated as confidential information and it will not be shared with third parties without the consent of the party that has submitted the request.