provided by the Global ABS Community
An activity developed in the framework of implementation of the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project
The Global ABS Community, the community of practice of the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project is oriented to promote the exchange of knowledge, experiences, best practices, methodologies and tools related to the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS). The platform and structure are promoted under Component 4 of the UNDP-GEF Global ABS Project and is built up upon the resources generated during on-site and on-line activities implemented under a global cooperation framework on ABS.
The main outputs of this component are:
- Output 4.1: Community of Practice on ABS at the regional and global levels serves as a collaboration and information tool to support the implementation of ABS mechanisms under the Nagoya Protocol;
- Output 4.2: ABS experts´ roster provides technical assistance and advisory services to government and other stakeholders on environmental law, biotechnology, value chain, business and economics, sharing of benefits, among other ABS-related topics;
- Output 4.3: Systematized experiences, best practices, lessons learned, and knowledge products on ABS-related activities;
- Output 4.4: Website serves as a virtual knowledge platform for the ABS community of practice for the dissemination of information about the project.
The Global ABS Community Implementation Framework
The first stage of the online implementation stage was finalized on February 15th, 2019. This first community structure had the following functionalities and sections:
- Four main thematic areas i.e. ABS Legal Frameworks, Private Sector & Industries, Sustainable Development Goals and Traditional Knowledge;
- Discussion section
- Knowledge Repository
- Members section
During the second half of 2019, new functionalities are expected to be included on the platform with the final aim to consolidate the platform as the main global information source on ABS. In this regard, the following new functionalities are being developed and will be included:
- ABS Stakeholder Map: The initial idea of including an ABS roster of experts was expanded to include information on organizations that use genetic resources, bioprospection initiatives and national ABS projects. The Global ABS Roster of Experts will include the possibility for community members to contact ABS experts through a private messaging system controlled by the Global ABS Community Administrators.
- List of ABS Partners;
- Fifth thematic area on the synergies and supportiveness related to the implementation of the International Plant Treaty on Genetic Resources and the Nagoya Protocol;
The different functionalities previously presented will be implemented under a new re-designed platform infrastructure, enhancing community interactions and allowing community administrators to more effectively communicate with members.
Additionally, two new specific services are envisioned during this redesign and implementation phase. The final aim of these two new services is to provide a direct professional support on ABS matters to the key ABS players locally and globally. The new services provided are the following: